View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
U.S.S. Maine National Monument
- Location: 59th Street and Central Park West, Columbus Circle
- Sculptor: Attilio Piccirilli (colossal group and figures); Charles Keck ("In Memoriam" plaque)
- Architect: Harold Van Buren Magonigle
- Description: Pylon fountain embellished with colossal group, nine figures (heroic scale), and frieze; three plaques (two large, one small); four gate houses, each with a door and three low reliefs
- Materials: Pylon--Maine granite; colossal group--bronze (gilded); figures--Tennessee pink marble; plaques--bronze; gate houses--marble; gate house doors--bronze; gate house reliefs--granite
- Dimensions: Total H: 63' L: 74' W: 55'; Pylon face W: 17'9" at bottom, 15' at top; side, W: 15'6" at bottom, 13' at top; Base L 21'6" W: 19'; Colossal group H: 20'; Large plaques H: 1'1" W: 1'3"; Small plaque H: 6" W: 10"; Each gate house H: 12'6" L: 9' W: 9'
- Cast: September 1, 1912
- Dedicated: May 30, 1913
- Foundry: Jno. Williams Inc., Bronze Foundry, NY ("In Memoriam" plaque)
- Donor: National Maine Monument Fund (raised by public subscription); United Spanish War Veterans (Chidwick plaque only)
- Inscription: 1) Front group, proper right: ATTILIO PICCIRILLI SCVLPTOR /
2) Front group, proper left: HAROLD VAN BVREN MAGONIGLE FAIA ARCHITECT /
3) Front: TO / THE VALIANT SEAMEN / WHO PERISHED IN THE / MAINE / BY FATE VNWARNED / IN DEATH VNAFRAID /---/ MDCCCXCVIII / MCMXII /
4) Above rear group: TO THE FREEMEN / WHO DIED IN THE / WAR WITH SPAIN / THAT OTHERS / MIGHT BE FREE /---/ MDCCCXCVIII / MCMXII /
5) Below rear group: ERECTED THROVGH PVBLIC SVBSCRIPTION / BY THE NATIONAL MAINE MONVMENT COMMITTEE / JAMES GRANT WILSON --- CHAIRMAN / WILLIAM R HEARST --- GEORGE F SHRADY / JOHN W KELLER --- J EDWARD SIMMONS /
6) Plaque, proper right of rear group: IN MEMORY OF RT. REV. MSGR. JOHN P. CHIDWICK / CHAPLAIN IN CHIEF / UNITED SPANISH WAR VETERANS / CHAPLAIN, UNITED STATES NAVY, / IN SERVICE ON THE / BATTLESHIP MAINE / AT THE TIME OF HER DESTRUCTION. / DEDICATED BY / THE SPANISH WAR VETERANS / SEPTEMBER 15, 1935. /
7) Plaque, proper left of rear group: IN MEMORIAM /---/ U.S.S. MAINE / DESTROYED IN HAVANA HARBOR / FEBRUARY 15th 1898 / THIS TABLET IS CAST FROM METAL RECOVERED FROM THE U.S.S. MAINE /
8) Plaque, proper left of Pacific Ocean figure: ILLUMINATION PROVIDED / IN MEMORY OF / E. BARTLEY OSBORN / BY HIS LOVING WIFE / GLORIA / 1983 /
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 4 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
Raccoons in Central Park have tested positive for canine distemper virus. Although the virus cannot be transmitted to humans, it may be transmitted to dogs. Keep your pets safe in the park.
Please avoid wildlife and make sure your pets have up-to-date distemper and rabies vaccines. Keep your pet on a leash, especially during dawn and dusk.
Please call 311 or notify an on-site Parks employee if you see a sick or injured animal.
If you are bitten, wash the wound with soap and water immediately. Call your doctor to see if you need tetanus or rabies shots, and call 311 to report the bite.
The Health Department will continue to monitor this condition.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2018
Beginning June 27, 2018, Central Park will become entirely car-free. The Central Park transverse roads at 97th, 86th, 79th and 65th Streets will remain open to motor vehicles.
Belvedere Castle Visitor Center
Beginning Monday, February 26, Belvedere Castle will be closed for restoration. The castle will reopen to the public in 2019. To reach our Urban Park Rangers at Central Park, please call (212) 360-1444.
Beginning Monday, February 26, Belvedere Castle will be closed for restoration. The surrounding plaza and terrace remain open, but will also close in the coming weeks. The Belvedere will reopen to the public in 2019. For more information on the restoration of Belvedere Castle, please visit Central Park Conservancy's website.
- NYC PARKS OPENS “CITY AS ECOSYSTEM” IN ARSENAL GALLERY
- ADVISORY: NYC PARKS AND HEALTH DEPARTMENT ADVISE DOG OWNERS VISITING CENTRAL PARK TO KEEP DOGS ON LEASH
- SHAPE UP NYC PROVIDES FREE FITNESS TO NEW YORKERS WITH SUPPORT FROM EMPIRE BLUECROSS BLUESHIELD
- Exhibition - City as Ecosystem: NYC Urban Field Station Artists Residency
- Central Park Tour: Discovery Walk for Families: Towering Trees - The North Woods
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Central Park: Conservatory Garden Tour
- Central Park Tour: The North Woods
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums