Back to Monuments List
Irving and Estelle Levy Playground Gate
Click image for larger view
- Location: Pat Hoffman Friedman Playground, 5th Avenue and 79th Street
- Sculptor: A. Walter Beretta
- Architect: John Wilson
- Description: Two-leaved gate ornamented with animal figures; mounted plaque
- Materials: Bronze
- Cast: 1957
- Dedicated: 1958
- Donor: Irving and Estelle Levy Foundation
- Inscription: 1) original plaque: "THIS PLAYGROUND IS THE GIFT / OF THE / IRVING AND ESTELLE LEVY FOUNDATION / IN MEMORY OF IRVING LEVY / 1957"
2) each replacement plaque, left leaf: "PAT HOFFMAN FRIEDMAN PLAYGROUND / A GIFT OF SAMUEL N. FRIEDMAN / 1990"
3) each replacement plaque, right leaf: "THIS GATE COMMEMORATES / THE IRVING AND ESTELLE LEVY PLAYGROUND / A GIFT IN MEMORY OF IRVING LEVY IN / 1957"
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143