Back to Monuments List
Tisch Children's Zoo Gate
Click image for larger view
- Location: East 65th Street
- Sculptor: Paul Howard Manship
- Architect: Aymar Embury II; Edward Coe Embury
- Description: Three pylons surmounted by ornamental crest with children, animal, and bird figures; three plaques
- Materials: Pylons--Swenson green granite; Crest and plaques--bronze; inscription--gilded
- Dimensions: Center pylon H: 8'10" W: 6' D: 2'; Proper right pylon H: 8'8" W: 2' D: 2'; Proper left pylon H: 8'10" W: 2' D: 2'; Center plaque H: 3' W: 4'; Each side plaque H: 1' W: 1'6"
- Cast: 1961
- Dedicated: 1997
- Donor: Governor and Mrs. Herbert H. Lehman (original gate); Families of Laurence A. Tisch and Preston R. Tisch (three plaques)
- Inscription: 1) center pylon: "CHILDREN'S / ZOO / [originally followed by:] GIFT TO THE CHILDREN OF THE CITY / OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK / BY / GOVERNOR & MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN / 1960"
2) plaque, center pylon: "TISCH CHILDREN'S ZOO / MADE POSSIBLE BY / THE FAMILIES OF / LAURENCE A. TISCH / AND / PRESTON R. TISCH / FOR THE DELIGHT AND EDUCATION / OF THE CHILDREN OF NEW YORK / 1997"
3) plaque, poper right pylon: "THE FIRST CHILDREN'S ZOO / WAS GIVEN TO THE / CHILDREN OF THE CITY OF NEW YPRK / IN 1960 BY / GOVERNOR AND MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN"
4) plaque, proper left pylon: "THE GATEWAY SCULPTURE / BY PAUL MANSHIP / (1885-1966) / WAS A GIFT OF / GOVERNOR AND MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN / TO COMMEMORATE THEIR / 50TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY"
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143