View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Tisch Children's Zoo Gate
- Location: East 65th Street
- Sculptor: Paul Howard Manship
- Architect: Aymar Embury II; Edward Coe Embury
- Description: Three pylons surmounted by ornamental crest with children, animal, and bird figures; three plaques
- Materials: Pylons--Swenson green granite; Crest and plaques--bronze; inscription--gilded
- Dimensions: Center pylon H: 8'10" W: 6' D: 2'; Proper right pylon H: 8'8" W: 2' D: 2'; Proper left pylon H: 8'10" W: 2' D: 2'; Center plaque H: 3' W: 4'; Each side plaque H: 1' W: 1'6"
- Cast: 1961
- Dedicated: 1997
- Donor: Governor and Mrs. Herbert H. Lehman (original gate); Families of Laurence A. Tisch and Preston R. Tisch (three plaques)
- Inscription: 1) center pylon: "CHILDREN'S / ZOO / [originally followed by:] GIFT TO THE CHILDREN OF THE CITY / OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK / BY / GOVERNOR & MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN / 1960"
2) plaque, center pylon: "TISCH CHILDREN'S ZOO / MADE POSSIBLE BY / THE FAMILIES OF / LAURENCE A. TISCH / AND / PRESTON R. TISCH / FOR THE DELIGHT AND EDUCATION / OF THE CHILDREN OF NEW YORK / 1997"
3) plaque, poper right pylon: "THE FIRST CHILDREN'S ZOO / WAS GIVEN TO THE / CHILDREN OF THE CITY OF NEW YPRK / IN 1960 BY / GOVERNOR AND MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN"
4) plaque, proper left pylon: "THE GATEWAY SCULPTURE / BY PAUL MANSHIP / (1885-1966) / WAS A GIFT OF / GOVERNOR AND MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN / TO COMMEMORATE THEIR / 50TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY"
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
Lasker Rink and Pool is closed in order to rebuild the facility to increase access to nearby communities and enhance year-round programming. For more information, visit Central Park Conservancy's Lasker Rink and Pool Restoration page.
- NYC PARKS’ ANNUAL WREATH INTERPRETATIONS EXHIBITION RETURNS TO THE ARSENAL GALLERY
- IT’S BEGINNING TO FEEL A LOT LIKE… HOLIDAY MARKETS ARE OPENING IN CITY PARKS
- ARSENAL GALLERY REOPENS WITH “CONFINEMENT GARDENS” PAINTINGS BY PAUL HUNTER
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums