Back to Monuments List
Click image for larger view
- Location: North end of Mall
- Architect: Tachau and Vaught
- Description: Bandshell, mounted plaque
- Materials: Bandshell exterior--Indiana limestone; Bandshell interior--cast stone; Plaque--bronze
- Dimensions: Bandshell H: 42' W: 60' D: 33'; Plaque H: 10" W: 1'4½"
- Cast: 1923
- Dedicated: 1923
- Donor: Elkan Naumburg
- Inscription: 1) front of stage: "PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK / AND ITS MUSIC LOVERS / BY / ELKAN NAUMBURG, 1923"
2) plaque: "IN MEMORY OF / ELKAN NAUMBURG / WHO INAUGURATED ORCHESTRAL / CONCERTS IN THE OLD BAND STAND / ON THE MALL 50 YEARS AGO AND / DONATED THIS STAND IN 1923 /---/ MAY 30, 1955"
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143