Back to Monuments List
Richard Morris Hunt Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: Perimeter wall, Fifth Avenue at 70th Street
- Sculptor: Daniel Chester French
- Architect: Bruce Price
- Description: Bust (over life-size) on stele in an arc-shaped space formed by an exedra whose back supports columns and a cornice; at each end of the exedra is a standing female figure; mosaic floor; approached by two steps
- Materials: Bust and figures--bronze; exedra, columns, etc.--Westerly granite,
- Dimensions: Total H: 13' W: 31'; Bust H: 2'6"; Figure proper right H: 6'6"; Figure proper left H: 6'7½"
- Dedicated: 1898
- Foundry: Henry Bonnard Bronze Co.
- Donor: Art Societies of New York
- Inscription: (1) "TO RICHARD MORRIS HUNT / OCTOBER 31, 1828 / JULY 31, 1895 / IN RECOGNITION / OF HIS SERVICES TO / THE CAUSE OF ART / IN AMERICA / THIS MEMORIAL / WAS ERECTED 1898 BY / THE ART SOCIETIES/ OF NEW YORK"
(2) "THE CENTURY ASSOCIATION / THE MUNICIPAL ART SOCIETY / THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART / THE ARTIST ARTISANS OF NEW YORK / THE ARCHITECTURAL LEAGUE / NATIONAL SCULPTURE SOCIETY / NATIONAL
ACADEMY OF DESIGN / SOCIETY OF AMERICAN ARTISTS / AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS / AMERICAN WATERCOLOR SOCIETY / SOCIETY OF BEAUX ARTS ARCHITECTS"
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143