View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
- Location: Arsenal lobby
- Description: Mural covering north, east, and south walls of lobby, and continuing on west wall at balcony level; complementary painted decoration of west wall and two columns at lobby level
- Materials: Oil on canvas applied to walls
- Dimensions: North wall H: 7'½" W: 20'; East wall H: 21'4½" W: 33'11"; South wall H: 7'½" W: 20'; West wall, lobby level H: 12'8" W: 25' (approximate); West wall, balcony level H:7'6½" W: 33'11"
- Cast: 1937
- Dedicated: 1937
- Donor: Works Progress Administration
- Inscription: 1) east wall, large oval medallion left of main door: "[cursive] 'To House and Protect the Arms of the State' /---/ This building was erected to replace the old Arsenal built in eighteen hundred and eight [...]"
2) east wall, small oval medallion left of main door: "5TH N.Y. VOL. / DURYEA'S ZOUAVES / 1861"
3) east wall, large oval medallion right of main door: "[cursive] 'What the Past Had Accomplished to Imitate and Excel' /---/ To form and promote a taste for the beautiful by presenting models for study [...]"
4) east wall, small oval medallion right of main door: "DRUMMER / 7TH REGIMENT / 1860"
5) west wall, balcony level, left to right: "CENTRAL PARK"; "BRONX PARK"; "PROSPECT PARK"; "VAN CORTLANDT PARK"
6) west wall, lobby level, far right door: "MAINTENANCE / AND / OPERATIONS /---/ MANHATTAN"
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 3 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
Beginning June 27, 2018, Central Park will become entirely car-free. The Central Park transverse roads at 97th, 86th, 79th and 65th Streets will remain open to motor vehicles.
Belvedere Castle Visitor Center
Beginning Monday, February 26, Belvedere Castle will be closed for restoration. The castle will reopen to the public in 2019. To reach our Urban Park Rangers at Central Park, please call (212) 360-1444.
Beginning Monday, February 26, Belvedere Castle will be closed for restoration. The surrounding plaza and terrace remain open, but will also close in the coming weeks. The Belvedere will reopen to the public in 2019. For more information on the restoration of Belvedere Castle, please visit Central Park Conservancy's website.
- “1978: THE NYC PARKS/NEW YORK TIMES PHOTO PROJECT” REVISITS AND REVEALS BYGONE ERA IN NEW YORK CITY PARKS
- SPRING BREAK: NYC PARKS’ URBAN PARK RANGERS OFFER SCHOOL RECESS FUN FOR KIDS ACROSS THE CITY
- THE CITY OF NEW YORK AND THE BRONX MUSEUM JOIN THE OFFICE OF THE HISTORIAN OF HAVANA TO DEDICATE JOSE MARTÍ MONUMENT IN CUBA
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Central Park Spring Blooms: Conservatory Garden Tour
- Central Park Tour: Stroll to Strawberry Fields
- Arsenal Gallery Opening Reception: A Collective Utterance - Naima Green
- Arsenal Gallery Exhibition: A Collective Utterance - Naima Green
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums