Back to Monuments List
Click image for larger view
- Location: Arsenal lobby
- Description: Mural covering north, east, and south walls of lobby, and continuing on west wall at balcony level; complementary painted decoration of west wall and two columns at lobby level
- Materials: Oil on canvas applied to walls
- Dimensions: North wall H: 7'½" W: 20'; East wall H: 21'4½" W: 33'11"; South wall H: 7'½" W: 20'; West wall, lobby level H: 12'8" W: 25' (approximate); West wall, balcony level H:7'6½" W: 33'11"
- Cast: 1937
- Dedicated: 1937
- Donor: Works Progress Administration
- Inscription: 1) east wall, large oval medallion left of main door: "[cursive] 'To House and Protect the Arms of the State' /---/ This building was erected to replace the old Arsenal built in eighteen hundred and eight [...]"
2) east wall, small oval medallion left of main door: "5TH N.Y. VOL. / DURYEA'S ZOUAVES / 1861"
3) east wall, large oval medallion right of main door: "[cursive] 'What the Past Had Accomplished to Imitate and Excel' /---/ To form and promote a taste for the beautiful by presenting models for study [...]"
4) east wall, small oval medallion right of main door: "DRUMMER / 7TH REGIMENT / 1860"
5) west wall, balcony level, left to right: "CENTRAL PARK"; "BRONX PARK"; "PROSPECT PARK"; "VAN CORTLANDT PARK"
6) west wall, lobby level, far right door: "MAINTENANCE / AND / OPERATIONS /---/ MANHATTAN"
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143