- Location: Arsenal lobby
- Description: Mural covering north, east, and south walls of lobby, and continuing on west wall at balcony level; complementary painted decoration of west wall and two columns at lobby level
- Materials: Oil on canvas applied to walls
- Dimensions: North wall H: 7'½" W: 20'; East wall H: 21'4½" W: 33'11"; South wall H: 7'½" W: 20'; West wall, lobby level H: 12'8" W: 25' (approximate); West wall, balcony level H:7'6½" W: 33'11"
- Cast: 1937
- Dedicated: 1937
- Donor: Works Progress Administration
- Inscription: 1) east wall, large oval medallion left of main door: "[cursive] 'To House and Protect the Arms of the State' /---/ This building was erected to replace the old Arsenal built in eighteen hundred and eight [...]"
2) east wall, small oval medallion left of main door: "5TH N.Y. VOL. / DURYEA'S ZOUAVES / 1861"
3) east wall, large oval medallion right of main door: "[cursive] 'What the Past Had Accomplished to Imitate and Excel' /---/ To form and promote a taste for the beautiful by presenting models for study [...]"
4) east wall, small oval medallion right of main door: "DRUMMER / 7TH REGIMENT / 1860"
5) west wall, balcony level, left to right: "CENTRAL PARK"; "BRONX PARK"; "PROSPECT PARK"; "VAN CORTLANDT PARK"
6) west wall, lobby level, far right door: "MAINTENANCE / AND / OPERATIONS /---/ MANHATTAN"
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
The Public Theater’s Free Shakespeare in the Park production of Troilus and Cressida will contain effects including the use of loud sounds, blank gunshots, and simulated explosions. The production will run nightly through August 14 at the Delacorte Theater (located mid-park at 80th Street on the southwest corner of the Great Lawn). Please visit the Public Theater's website for more information about the show and its special effects.
Anticipated Completion: 08/14/2016
Central Park Weather
- NYC PARKS’ POOLS AND BEACHES HIGHLIGHTED IN “SPF16: NYC POOLS AND BEACHES IN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY”
- NYC Parks Joins The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- NYC Parks Joins The U.s. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- Exhibition - SPF16: NYC Pools and Beaches in Contemporary Photography
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Central Park Tour: Legendary Landmarks
- Hallett Nature Sanctuary
- Stories at the Statue of Hans Christian Andersen
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums