View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Arsenal Landmark Plaque
- Location: The Arsenal, east façade, left of basement entrance
- Description: Plaque and small circular medallion
- Materials: Aluminum
- Dimensions: Plaque H: 1'3" W: 1'11"; Medallion Diameter: 6"
- Cast: 1958
- Dedicated: 1958
- Donor: The New York Community Trust
- Inscription: 1) Plaque: LANDMARKS OF NEW YORK / THE ARSENAL / THIS BUILDING, DESIGNED BY MARTIN E. THOMPSON, / WAS CONSTRUCTED BY THE STATE OF NEW YORK AS / AN ARSENAL IN 1848 BEFORE THE ESTABLISHMENT / OF CENTRAL PARK. SINCE IT WAS ACQUIRED BY THE / CITY IN 1857 IT HAS SERVED AT VARIOUS TIMES AS THE / FIRST HOME OF THE AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL / HISTORY, PARK HEADQUARTERS FOR MANHATTAN AND / RICHMOND, A POLICE STATION AND A WEATHER / OBSERVATORY. IN 1934 IT BECAME THE HEADQUARTERS / OF THE CITY'S UNITED PARK SYSTEM /---/ PLAQUE ERECTED 1958 BY / THE NEW YORK COMMUNITY TRUST /
2) Medallion: DESIGNATED LANDMARK / NEW YORK CITY / LANDMARKS PRESERVATION COMMISSION / PARKS RECREATION AND CULTURAL AFFAIRS [seal of the City of New York in center] /
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 3 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
Beginning June 27, 2018, Central Park will become entirely car-free. The Central Park transverse roads at 97th, 86th, 79th and 65th Streets will remain open to motor vehicles.
Belvedere Castle Visitor Center
Beginning Monday, February 26, Belvedere Castle will be closed for restoration. The castle will reopen to the public in 2019. To reach our Urban Park Rangers at Central Park, please call (212) 360-1444.
Beginning Monday, February 26, Belvedere Castle will be closed for restoration. The surrounding plaza and terrace remain open, but will also close in the coming weeks. The Belvedere will reopen to the public in 2019. For more information on the restoration of Belvedere Castle, please visit Central Park Conservancy's website.
- “1978: THE NYC PARKS/NEW YORK TIMES PHOTO PROJECT” REVISITS AND REVEALS BYGONE ERA IN NEW YORK CITY PARKS
- SPRING BREAK: NYC PARKS’ URBAN PARK RANGERS OFFER SCHOOL RECESS FUN FOR KIDS ACROSS THE CITY
- THE CITY OF NEW YORK AND THE BRONX MUSEUM JOIN THE OFFICE OF THE HISTORIAN OF HAVANA TO DEDICATE JOSE MARTÍ MONUMENT IN CUBA
- Arsenal Gallery Exhibition: A Collective Utterance - Naima Green
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- CANCELLED: Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Central Park Tour: Heart of the Park
- Family Camping: Manhattan
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums