This monumental pink granite tablet, inserted into Central Park’s perimeter wall along Fifth Avenue at 101st Street, honors journalist and newspaper executive Arthur Brisbane (1864-1936). The monument was dedicated in 1939 and designed by the architectural firm of Shreve, Lamb and Harmon. It includes a granite seat and shaft adjacent to the marker.
Journalist Arthur Brisbane began his career as the editor of Charles A. Dana’s newspaper the Sun. In 1896, he was named Sunday editor of the New York World by publisher Joseph Pulitzer. He became circulation director for the World, and later distinguished himself for his editorials in William Randolph Hearst’s rival paper, the New York Journal. Together, the two sensational and gossip-filled tabloids marked the beginning of “yellow journalism” in the United States.
Sculptor Richmond Barthe (1901–1989) created the low-relief profile effigy of Brisbane carved into the monument. Born in St. Louis, Mississippi, Barthe studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and at the Art Students League of New York. After completing his schooling, Barthe worked in a Jamaica, Queens studio on his trademark bronze sculptures.
Arthur Brisbane Monument Details
- Location: Fifth Avenue at 101st Street
- Sculptor: Richmond Barthe, 1901-1989
- Architect: Shreve, Lamb and Harmon
- Description: Shaft with bench beside it (all one piece) with sunken bas-relief medallion above the bench
- Materials: Swenson's pink granite
- Dimensions: H: 8' W: 14'10" D: 2'10"
- Cast: ca. 1939
- Dedicated: 1939
- Donor: Friends
- Inscription: ARTHUR BRISBANE 1864-1936 / AMERICAN EDITOR AND PATRIOT /
HE SPREAD BEFORE ALL A PANORAMA OF THE EVENTS OF HIS / TIMES.
HE WAS THE CHAMPION OF WORK AND PEACE BEFORE / ALL MANKIND.
HE GAVE TO THE PEOPLE A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING / OF THE HISTORY OF ALL AGES. HE IMPARTED / TO MILLIONS AN APPRECIATION AND LOVE OF THE LITERATURE / ART AND RELIGION WHICH HAVE ENNOBLED THE WORLD.
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
The Arsenal Gallery is temporarily closed. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please join us on October 19, 2016 for the opening of "My Father’s Son: Photographs by Irwin Silver and Mitchell J. Silver".
Central Park Weather
- NYC PARKS’ POOLS AND BEACHES HIGHLIGHTED IN “SPF16: NYC POOLS AND BEACHES IN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY”
- NYC Parks Joins The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- NYC Parks Joins The U.s. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- Seniors Fitness in Central Park
- Central Park Tour: Legendary Landmarks
- Birding Basics for Families: The Ramble
- Discovery Club for Families
- Central Park Tour: Southern Welcome Tour
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums