Central Park

View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.

Thomas Moore


This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found postedwithin the park.

This bronze bust of the Irish poet Thomas Moore (1779–1852) by sculptor Dennis B. Sheahan, was dedicated in Central Park in 1880. Thomas Moore, born of humble origins in Dublin, Ireland, demonstrated precocious abilities in acting, singing, and writing verse. By the time he was admitted to Trinity College in 1794, he was already a published poet. In 1800, his translation of Odes of Anacreon brought him critical acclaim.

In 1801, under the pseudonym Thomas Little, he published a series of love poems. Appointed admiralty registrar of Bermuda in 1803, he returned two years later to England after visits to the United States and Canada. He went on to have a prolific career as a poet and author of lyric songs, notably the Irish Melodies, published intermittently between 1808 and 1834, and National Airs (1818-1827). He also published a history of Ireland (1827) and a biography of Lord Byron (1830), and penned satirical pieces on contemporary society such as The Two Penny Postbag (1813) and The Fudge Family in Paris (1818).

The Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, a citizens group of Irish descent, commissioned this statue of Moore. This bust of Moore was unveiled in 1880 on the 101st anniversary of the poet’s birth. Another statue of the writer by John G. Draddy was installed the previous year in Prospect Park. In 1993, the Central Park Conservancy Sculpture Conservation Program conserved the statue, and in 2000-2001 the surrounding landscape and pond area were renovated.

Click map for directions

Thomas Moore Details

  • Location: Poet's Corner, East Driv, near 60th Street
  • Sculptor: D.B. Sheahan
  • Description: Portrait bust on pedestal
  • Materials: Bronze, Conway green granite
  • Dimensions: Overall H: 12' 9" W: 4'9" D: 4'9"
  • Dedicated: 1879
  • Foundry: Geo. Fischer & Bros
  • Donor: Friendly Sons of St. Patrick

Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namingsoften in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, butnot necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the yearlisted reflects the date of installation.

For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8163

Directions to Central Park

Know Before You Go

Ice Skating Rinks
Lasker Rink

Lasker Rink and Pool is closed in order to rebuild the facility to increase access to nearby communities and enhance year-round programming. For more information, visit Central Park Conservancy's Lasker Rink and Pool Restoration page.

Was this information helpful?