Back to Monuments List
McGown's Pass Cannons
- Architect: William W. Bosworth
- Description: Cannon and carronade
- Materials: Iron and bronze
- Dimensions: Cannon: L: 62" W: 14.5" Bore: 3.5" Weight: 1120 lbs.; Carronade: L: 39" W: 14.5" Bore: 5.5" Weight: 840 lbs. Plaque: 36" x 13.25"
- Dedicated: 1906
- Donor: Children of ity history club
- Inscription: THIS EMINENCE COMMANDING / MC GOWNS'S PASS / WAS OCCUPIED BY
BRITISH TROOPS SEPT. 15, 1776 / AND EVACUATED NOV. 21, 1783 / HERE
BEGINNING AUG. 18, 1814 THE CITIZENS OF NEW YORK / BUILT FORT
CLINTON TO PROTECT THE CITY / IN THE SECOND WAR WITH GREAT
BRITAIN / THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY THE CHILDREN OF THE CITY
HISTORY CLUB OF NEW YORK A.D. 1906
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143