Discovery Walks for Families: Harlem Meer
Sunday, July 21, 2019
11:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Now at the northeast corner of Central Park, the rocky landscape surrounding the Harlem Meer has a storied history. Join our guides to learn more about how the area has changed over time, the plants and animals that live there today, and how the Conservancy cares for this complex ecosystem. Explore the Meer's history and design, and hear about what it takes to maintain a healthy and beautiful waterbody through hands-on exploration and guided activities in your complementary Discovery Journal.
Discovery Walks for Families are a great way for parents and children of all ages to learn about the nature and history of Central Park in fun and creative ways.
Meet: Charles A. Dana Discovery Center (inside the Park at 110th Street between Fifth and Lenox Avenues). Map of start location
Terrain: A few inclines, some stairs, and wood-chipped trails; may not be suitable for strollers.
Length of Tour: Approximately 90 minutes
Cost: Free. Space is limited, registration required. Families with children ages 5+ only; no groups, please. Please arrive 15 minutes before the start of the Discovery Walk to allow time for check in.
For weather cancellation and other ticket policies, please review our Tours Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Free | Free. Space is limited, registration required. Families with children ages 5+ only; no groups, please. Please arrivxe 15 minutes before the start of the Discovery Walk to allow time for check in.
Directions to Central Park
- STARK VIEW OF THE NATURAL WORLD ON DISPLAY IN MIXED MEDIA EXHIBIT “NATURE IN BLACK AND WHITE”
- POWER OF PROTESTS IN NEW YORK CITY’S PARKS ON DISPLAY IN ARSENAL GALLERY’S ANNUAL BLACK HISTORY MONTH EXHIBIT
- GETTIN’ “WREATHY” WITH IT! NYC PARKS’ ANNUAL WREATH INTERPRETATIONS EXHIBIT ON VIEW THROUGH THE NEW YEAR
- Exhibition - David Flores: Nueva Bronx
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- City Parks Foundation Presents Puss in Boots at the Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre
- City Parks Foundation Presents Puss in Boots at the Swedish Marionette Theatre
- Central Park Tour: Heart of the Park
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums