Stories at the Statue of Hans Christian Andersen
Saturday, September 23, 2017
11:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Each summer on Saturday morning for the past 60 years, New Yorkers of all ages have listened to Andersen tales and other stories, folktales, and fairytales from around the world told by a group of brilliant storytellers at the Hans Christian Andersen Statue in Central Park. This landmark New York event continues this summer, with storytelling happening every Saturday from June through September.
A variety of stories will be shared in Celebration of Diane Wolkstein, curated by Rachel Zucker.
Storytelling is held rain or shine. The stories are appropriate for children six years old and up. Parents or guardians are asked to sit with their children.
This free program is funded by the Hans Christian Andersen Story Telling Center, Inc.
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 3 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
Beginning June 27, 2018, Central Park will become entirely car-free. The Central Park transverse roads at 97th, 86th, 79th and 65th Streets will remain open to motor vehicles.
Belvedere Castle Visitor Center
Beginning Monday, February 26, Belvedere Castle will be closed for restoration. The castle will reopen to the public in 2019. To reach our Urban Park Rangers at Central Park, please call (212) 360-1444.
Beginning Monday, February 26, Belvedere Castle will be closed for restoration. The surrounding plaza and terrace remain open, but will also close in the coming weeks. The Belvedere will reopen to the public in 2019. For more information on the restoration of Belvedere Castle, please visit Central Park Conservancy's website.
- SPRING BREAK: NYC PARKS’ URBAN PARK RANGERS OFFER SCHOOL RECESS FUN FOR KIDS ACROSS THE CITY
- THE CITY OF NEW YORK AND THE BRONX MUSEUM JOIN THE OFFICE OF THE HISTORIAN OF HAVANA TO DEDICATE JOSE MARTÍ MONUMENT IN CUBA
- NYC PARKS AND FDNY REINFORCED THE IMPORTANCE OF ICE SAFETY IN WINTER MONTHS WITH ON-ICE RESCUE DEMONSTRATION
- Exhibition: Natural Impact
- Central Park Tour: Heart of the Park
- Central Park Discovery Walk for Families: Statues and Monuments
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Central Park Spring Blooms: Conservatory Garden Tour
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums