Central Park Tour: Northern Forts
Saturday, September 23, 2017
11:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Did you know that the north end of Central Park has a rich history that includes the British having been stationed here during the American Revolution, and American troops stationed there during the War of 1812? Recent archaeological and historical investigations in the area have revealed even more information about how the "Fort Landscape" was used in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, before this area was part of Central Park. This season, join our guides and learn the history of this part of the park, get insight into the studies in the area, and appreciate the recent restorations undertaken by the Conservancy.
Highlights of this tour include McGowan's Pass, Fort Clinton, Nutter's Battery, and the Harlem Meer.
The tour route involves many hills and stairs, and some uneven terrain. The tour starts at Charles A. Dana Discovery Center (inside the park at 110th Street between Fifth and Lenox Avenues), and ends near the park perimeter at 106th Street and Fifth Avenue.
For weather cancellation and other ticket policies, please review the Central Park Conservancy's policies carefully.
Tickets: $15 per person. Central Park Conservancy members: $10 per person.
Directions to Central Park
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES VIBRANT FLORA IN PLANT PATTERNS EXHIBIT IN CENTRAL PARK
- FIVE ARTISTS EXAMINE THE NATURAL WORLD AND FOUND OBJECTS IN GROUP SHOW “OTHER HOMES”
- NYC PARKS’ POOLS AND BEACHES HIGHLIGHTED IN “SPF16: NYC POOLS AND BEACHES IN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY”
- Discovery Walks for Families: Beginning Birders - The North Woods
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Fall Foliage Photography Scavenger Hunt
- Hansel & Gretel's Halloween Adventure
- Discovery Walks for Families: Towering Trees
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums