The Princess, The Emperor and The Duck
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
12:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m.
This event repeats every weekday between 8/16/2017 and 8/25/2017.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Set in Africa, China and our own Central Park, The Princess, The Emperor, and The Duck retells storyteller Hans Christian Andersen’s world-famous fairy tales — The Princess and the Pea, The Emperor’s New Clothes and The Ugly Duckling — bringing the Theatre to life with new marionettes and hand painted scenery. Guided by a narrating Owl, audience members experience each story with the original tales that teach important life lessons still relevant to children today.
About the Cottage
The Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre was imported to the U.S. in 1876 as Sweden’s exhibit for the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. The enchanting Swedish architecture and craftsmanship of the structure, suggestive of a model schoolhouse, caught the eye of Frederick Law Olmsted, who brought it to Central Park in 1877
A traveling marionette company was founded in 1939 and in 1947 the Swedish Cottage became home to the company. In 1973, a permanent theater was constructed inside the Swedish Cottage, designed for marionette performances. Since then, hundreds of thousands of children and families from around the world have enjoyed its original productions.
West 79th Street & West Drive, Central Park
$8 children / $12 adults
Directions to Central Park
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES VIBRANT FLORA IN PLANT PATTERNS EXHIBIT IN CENTRAL PARK
- FIVE ARTISTS EXAMINE THE NATURAL WORLD AND FOUND OBJECTS IN GROUP SHOW “OTHER HOMES”
- NYC PARKS’ POOLS AND BEACHES HIGHLIGHTED IN “SPF16: NYC POOLS AND BEACHES IN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY”
- Exhibition - Over Here: A Centennial Commemoration of World War I Memorials in NYC Parks
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Discovery Walks for Families: Beginning Birders - Hallett Nature Sanctuary
- Stories at the Statue of Hans Christian Andersen
- Central Park Tour: Northern Forts
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums