Explore Urban Cemeteries as Historic Landscapes: Design, Horticulture and Habitat
Thursday, November 14, 2013
6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
In three separate lectures, the subject of urban cemeteries, both private and public, will be explored with a view toward greater understanding, appreciation and stewardship of these evocative landscapes in our midst.
This is the first lecture in the series.
A Landscape Entwined in History: The Evergreens Cemetery of Brooklyn and Queens 1849-2008 (2008)
Located near Bushwick in the “knob and kettle country” of Long Island’s terminal moraine is a lesser-known, non-sectarian cemetery, originally called the Cemetery of the Evergreens.
Founded in 1849, it bears the hand of such notable landscape designers and architects as Andrew Jackson Downing, Alexander Jackson Davis and Samuel Parsons, Jr.
The Evergreens is taking steps to protect and cultivate its design and monuments, while honoring the cemetery’s inhabitants and wooded landscape.Speaker John Rousmaniere, author of Green Oasis in Brooklyn: The Evergreens Cemetery, 1849-2008 (2008), is a historian who has written extensively on maritime topics and on New York history. He lives in Morningside Heights and is a contributor to The Encyclopedia of New York City, 1st and 2nd editions
The Arsenal Gallery is located on the third floor of the Arsenal within Central Park, near Fifth Avenue and East 64th Street. Elevator in building.
Directions to Central Park
- NYC PARKS’ POOLS AND BEACHES HIGHLIGHTED IN “SPF16: NYC POOLS AND BEACHES IN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY”
- NYC Parks Joins The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- NYC Parks Joins The U.s. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- Conservatory Garden Tour
- CANCELLED: Central Park Tour: Heart of the Park
- Central Park Tour: Stroll to Strawberry Fields
- Ranger's Choice: Twilight Canoe Adventure (Advanced)
- Central Park Tour: The Art of the Park
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums