Celebrate Black History Month: African-American Monuments in New York City’s Parks
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
This event repeats every weekday between 2/1/2013 and 2/27/2013.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
The monuments in our parks honor the heights of human achievement and the depths of human sacrifice. They are intended in permanent form to commemorate persons, events and values of lasting consequence to the evolution of our city, nation and the world, and to our advancement as a people.
In honor of Black History Month, this exhibition examines those monuments in the Parks collection that honor key African-American figures in the arts, sport, the military, science, and the abolition movement and who are preserved in our collective memory. Also remembered are the many thousands of anonymous people who, until emancipation, did not have the rights of citizenship and were enslaved.
NRQ to 5th Ave/59th Street Stop
Art & Antiquities
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
The Public Theater’s Free Shakespeare in the Park production of Troilus and Cressida will contain effects including the use of loud sounds, blank gunshots, and simulated explosions. The production will run nightly through August 14 at the Delacorte Theater (located mid-park at 80th Street on the southwest corner of the Great Lawn). Please visit the Public Theater's website for more information about the show and its special effects.
Anticipated Completion: 08/14/2016
Central Park Weather
- NYC PARKS’ POOLS AND BEACHES HIGHLIGHTED IN “SPF16: NYC POOLS AND BEACHES IN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY”
- NYC Parks Joins The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- NYC Parks Joins The U.s. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- Exhibition - SPF16: NYC Pools and Beaches in Contemporary Photography
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Central Park Tour: Legendary Landmarks
- Hallett Nature Sanctuary
- Stories at the Statue of Hans Christian Andersen
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums