The Daily Plant : Wednesday, November 8, 2000
PARKIES SPARK OUR PRIDE: 7 CROSS THE MARATHON FINISH LINE
Ambitious Parkies rose early Sunday, downed a Power Bar, and made a five-borough tour with the New York City Marathon. Congratulations to the seven Parkies who sped through the 26 miles and lived to tell the tale at work Monday morning. The runners were: Jake (Red Rock) Cooper, Eric (Freebird) Friedman, Seth (World Wide) Webb, Darah (Chance) Ross, Brian (Oakman) AuCoin, Harris (Philippides) Kaplan, and Katie (Catalan) Langhammer. If you see them around, give them a cheer on behalf of The Plant and forgive them if they walk slowly.
Parks has supported the marathon since its first loop around Central Park three decades ago. On September 13th, 1970, runners in the inaugural race ran four laps around the Park. Six years later, the marathon expanded to all five boroughs, following the course it took Sunday. This year was the city's 31st annual marathon. The course was 26 miles, 385 yards long. 30,000 participants began in Staten Island and celebrated at Tavern on the Green in Central Park.
Congratulations on a terrific achievement!
THIRTEEN YEARS AGO IN THE PLANT
(Tuesday, November 10, 1987)
CARMEN MATIAS JOINS PARKS AS DIRECTOR OF LABOR RELATIONS
Carmen Matias has been appointed the Director of Labor Relations Commissioner Stern announced today. The Labor Relations Office serves as liaison between Parks and the 10 collective bargaining unions that represent the agency's non-managerial employees. The office negotiates labor contracts, interprets city labor policies and is the agency's advocate at Labor Grievance proceedings.
QUOTATION FOR THE DAY
"Heroism, the ... mountaineers say, is endurance for one moment more."
George Kennan (1845-1924)
Directions to Central Park
- NYC PARKS AND THE STANTON AND ANTHONY STATUE FUND DEDICATE FUTURE SITE FOR THE “ELIZABETH CADY STANTON AND SUSAN B. ANTHONY WOMAN SUFFRAGE MOVEMENT MONUMENT”
- “IT’S HAPPENING!” NYC PARKS TO CELEBRATE 50 YEARS OF PUBLIC ART PROGRAM WITH FESTIVAL IN CENTRAL PARK
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES VIBRANT FLORA IN PLANT PATTERNS EXHIBIT IN CENTRAL PARK
- Discovery Walks for Families: Beginning Birders - The North Woods
- Central Park Tour: North Woods
- The Three Bears Holiday Bash
- Discovery Walks for Families: Towering Trees
- Central Park Tour: The Art of the Park
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums