The Daily Plant : Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Bon Jovi Rocks The Great Lawn
Bon Jovi brought rock and roll back to Central Park this past Saturday night, July 12. The rock group performed a free concert in front of their adoring fans on the Great Lawn.
The Great Lawn was filled to the brink with fans singing along to the Grammy Award-winning rockers, led by Jon Bon Jovi. Commissioner Benepe welcomed the crowd with "Hello, New York!" Although his subsequent greeting, "Hello, New Jersey!" seemed to encourage an even louder reaction.
The concert was organized as a precursor to the Major League Baseball All-Star Game and was sponsored by Bank of America.
Bon Jovi started out the show with “Livin’ on a Prayer,” and never looked back after that. Other favorites included "You Give Love a Bad Name," "It's My Life," "Runaway," "Have a Nice Day," and "Always."
The band then performed at Madison Square Garden on Monday and Tuesday nights to conclude their Lost Highway Tour.
Bon Jovi has set the bar for more than two decades as one of the most successful rock bands in the world. Globally, they have sold more than 120 million albums and performed more than 2,500 concerts in over 50 countries for more than 32 million fans.
Now they will go down in history alongside Simon & Garfunkel, Diana Ross, Luciano Pavarotti, Pope John Paul II and others to have appeared on the Great Lawn of Central Park.
QUOTATION FOR THE DAY
“Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?”
Henry Ward Beecher
(1813 - 1887)
Directions to Central Park
- NYC PARKS’ POOLS AND BEACHES HIGHLIGHTED IN “SPF16: NYC POOLS AND BEACHES IN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY”
- NYC Parks Joins The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- NYC Parks Joins The U.s. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- Central Park Tour: West Side Stories
- Central Park Tour: North Woods
- Exhibition - Zane York: Nature Morte
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Spring Cleaning at Spector Playground in Central Park
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums