The Daily Plant : Friday, February 8, 2008
This Weekend In Parks: Winter Jam!
On Saturday, February 9, Central Park transforms into a wonderland for all winter sports enthusiasts.
We are bringing the mountain to Manhattan with its first ever two-story, 80-foot long ski slope, free with luges and tubes provided. Parks is bringing New Yorkers a chance to sled at least once this snowless winter!
Winter Jam 2008 will bring the whole family out of hibernation with all sorts of fun for the kids including an Olympic luge display and more. It all takes place from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Naumburg Bandshell.
Cozy up with hot drinks in our Warming Hut and snacks from the Winter Greenmarkets. Enjoy music from DJs from various radio stations including Hot 97 and live performances from artists including The White Tie Affair and The Season. Kat DeLuna will be on hand during the afternoon and wrap up the event. Olympic medalists bobsledder Todd Hayes and Gordy Sheer will also join the fun. The Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Metro New York will celebrate the granting of its 7,000th milestone wish at the event.
Be sure to stick around at 4:30 p.m. when amateur snowboarders will take to the rails during the popular Rail Jam Open!
This event is sponsored by Lake Placid, Olympic Regional Development Authority, Gore Mountain and Hunter Mountain, as well as Ski Areas of America, Radio Hot 97, Radio 98.7 Kiss, I Love New York, Metro, Crocs and Seventeen Magazine.
QUOTATION FOR THE DAY
“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.”
(1717 – 1797)
Directions to Central Park
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES VIBRANT FLORA IN PLANT PATTERNS EXHIBIT IN CENTRAL PARK
- FIVE ARTISTS EXAMINE THE NATURAL WORLD AND FOUND OBJECTS IN GROUP SHOW “OTHER HOMES”
- NYC PARKS’ POOLS AND BEACHES HIGHLIGHTED IN “SPF16: NYC POOLS AND BEACHES IN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY”
- Discovery Walks for Families: Beginning Birders - Hallett Nature Sanctuary
- Stories at the Statue of Hans Christian Andersen
- Central Park Tour: Northern Forts
- Discovery Walks for Families: Living Laboratory
- Central Park Tour: Southern Welcome Tour
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums