What was here before?
This site was once part of the estate of Hugh N. Camp 1827-1895), a leading figure in the sugar refining industry until 1870.
How did this site become a playground?
The City acquired the property in 1884, through the Aqueduct Commission. This body, which was responsible for supervising work on the new Croton Aqueduct, was dissolved in 1910. In 1934, that department surrendered the property to NYC Parks, and the playground opened the following year. A small segment at Cedar Avenue and the curve of West 179th Street was added to the park in 1955 as a sitting area.
In 2016, the playground was renovated to include an updated play area, basketball courts, a spray shower, and adult exercise equipment.
What is this playground named for?
This playground takes its name from Cedar Avenue, which is adjacent to the site. Cedar trees are celebrated for their valuable wood, which is generally red, scented, and highly resistant to decay.