This triangle, located at the junction of East 161st Street, Third Avenue, and St. Anne’s Avenue in the Bronx neighborhood of Morrisania, honors the memory of Captain Oliver Tilden (1828-1862), the first Morrisanian soldier to give his life for the Union cause during the Civil War.
Oliver Tilden was born and raised in Morrisania, and opened a small carpentry shop on 162nd Street and Eagle Avenue. At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Tilden enlisted in the Union Army and helped organize Company A of the 38th Volunteer New York Infantry Regiment. The 38th Regiment consisted of five infantry companies from New York City and five companies from Westchester. As the New York Regiment joined with the Army of the Potomac, Tilden was appointed Captain of Company E. During the war, Tilden fought in several bloody engagements, including the Battle of Manassas and the Seven Days Battle.