This playground, bounded by Henry and Rutgers Streets, is named in memory of Captain Jacob Joseph (1920-1942), a member of the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II, and scion of a family devoted to religious education and civic affairs. Born and raised in New York, Joseph left Columbia University as a junior in 1938 to enlist in the Marines. Joseph died in action at Guadalcanal on October 22, 1942. Five years later, a local law named this playground in his honor, and a commemorative flagstaff was installed. The dedication ceremony was attended by Mayor William O’Dwyer, Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, Council Member Stanley Isaacs, and Joseph’s father, City Comptroller, Lazarus Joseph.