Captain Dermody Triangle
View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Bayside Civil War Boulder
- Location: 216 Street and 48 Avenue
- Description: Boulder and plaque (missing)
- Materials: Granite, bronze
- Dimensions: Boulder H: 5' W: 3' D: 4'; Plaque H: 1'8" W: 1'3" D: 3/8"
- Cast: 1935
- Dedicated: Boulder 1935; Plaque 1973
- Foundry: U.S. Bronze Sign Company, NY
- Donor: Plaque--Bayside Historical Society
- Inscription: 1) incised in boulder: "FOR / A BETTER UNION / 1861-1865"
2) plaque: "CAPTAIN WILLIAM C. DERMODY / 1830-1864 / 67TH REGIMENT NEW YORK VOLUNTEERS / DIED IN ACTION AT SPOTSYLVANIA, VA. / DURING THE CIVIL WAR. / THIS PLOT, THEN A PART OF THE / JAMES O'DONNELL FARM, WAS SET ASIDE / IN 1866 BY MRS. JAMES O'DONNELL / AS A MEMORIAL TO HER BROTHER, / CAPTAIN DERMODY, AND NAMED / DERMODY SQUARE IN HIS HONOR. / THIS BOULDER WAS UNVEILED / DURING REDEDICATION IN 1935. / BAYSIDE HISTORICAL SOCIETY / 1973"