Canarsie Park

Joseph F. DiNapoli Playground

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

Joseph F. DiNapoli (1935-1989) was a longtime parks worker and active member of the Canarsie community. The Brooklyn native grew up in East New York and lived with his wife and two children on East 88th Street for twenty five years. DiNapoli worked in Canarsie Park from 1967 until his death, rising to the rank of Principal Park Supervisor.  He established the 69th Police Precinct community baseball program and served on the Executive Board of the Columbia Society, the Parks Italian heritage group, for fifteen years. He was also an executive board member of Laborers Local 924 and Uniformed Parks Officers Local 1508.

This playground was renamed in memory of Joseph DiNapoli at the urging of the local community who saw the rewards of his hard work and his devotion to the park. It was named under a local law introduced by Council Member Herbert E. Berman, and signed by Mayor David Dinkins on April 5, 1990.

Located at East 93rd Street and Seaview Avenue, this playground is situated in the northeastern part of Canarsie Park, which takes its name from the Canarsie Indians who once lived there. It stands on the oldest parcel of land, acquired in 1895 by the City of Brooklyn and transferred to Parks in 1898, in the 132 acre park which is bounded by Paedergat Basin, Fresh Creek Basin, Seaview Avenue, and Shore Parkway, and lies adjacent to the Belt Parkway. The playground was built in 1936.

DiNapoli Playground was renovated in 1997. Improvements included installation of new basketball courts, accessible play equipment, a spray shower, drinking fountains, fencing, pavements and pathways, a new drainage and water supply system, safety surfacing, benches, and landscaping.

Directions to Canarsie Park


Was this information helpful?