Back to Monuments List
Bronx River Parkway Drive
Click image for larger view
- Location: Rosewood Playground at Magenta Street
- Architect: Charles W. Stoughton
- Description: Stele with tablets
- Materials: Granite, bronze
- Dimensions: Stele H: 8' W: 52" D: 20"
- Dedicated: 1925
- Donor: Purchase
- Inscription: SOUTH PLAQUE: /
BRONX RIVER PARKWAY/PLANNED AND BUILT BY THE/BRONX PARKWAY COMMISSION/ESTABLISHED 1907 AND APPROVED 1913/WITH FIRST APPROPRIATION BY THE/CITY OF NEW YORK/AND THE/COUNTY OF WESTCHESTER/COMPLETED 1925/MADISON GRANT PRESIDENT 1907-1925/WILLIAM NILES VICE PRESIDENT 1907-1925/JAMESG. CANNON TREASURER 1907-1916/FRANK H. BETHELL TREASURER 1916-1925/JAY DOWNER CHIEF ENGINEER/L.G.HOLLERAN DEPUTY CHIEF ENGINEER/H.W. MERKEL LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT/THEODOSIUS STEVENS COUNSEL/LENGTH OF PARKWAY SIXTEEN MILES/AREA TWELVE HUNDRED ACRES/370 OLD BUILDINGS AND FIVE MILES/OF BILLBOARDS REMOVED TWO MILLION/CUBIC YARDS EXCAVATED AND THE SURFACE/RECOVERED WITH TOPSOIL 30,000/TREES AND 140,000 SHRUBS PLANTED/THIRTY SEVEN BRIDGES AND VIADUCTS BUILT/THE RIVER CLEARED OF POLLUTION/AND THE NATURAL BEAUTIES/OF THE VALLEY RESTORED. /
NORTH PLAQUE: /
THIS MONUMENT/MARKS THE/SOUTHERN TERMINUS/OF THE ORIGINAL/BRONX RIVER PARKWAY. /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143