Harlem Heights First Line of Defense Marker
Click image for larger view
- Location: Between 147th and 148th Streets
- Description: Recessed plaque on natural boulder
- Materials: Bronze
- Dimensions: Plaque H: 1'8" W: 1'6"; Boulder H: 3' W: 2'6" D: 2'6"
- Cast: ca. 1909
- Dedicated: September 29, 1909
- Foundry: J.V. & R.V. Lamb (original plaque); Newman Brothers, Inc., Cincinnati, OH (replacement plaque)
- Donor: Washington Heights Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Inscription: THIS STONE / MARKS THE POSITION OF / THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENCE / CONSTRUCTED ACROSS / THESE HEIGHTS AND / BRAVELY DEFENDED BY / THE AMERICAN ARMY / 1776 / ERECTED BY / THE WASHINGTON HEIGHTS CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF / THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / SEPTEMBER 29 1909 [D.A.R. seal at right]
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143