Broad Channel Park

Broad Channel Park

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

What was here before?

Prior to European settlement, the Jameco and Canarsie Native Americans frequented this area. During the 1600s, Dutch settlers established a community on the island and began harvesting oysters, clams, shrimp, and fish. Broad Channel remained a part of the Town of Jamaica until the consolidation of New York City in 1898.

How did this site become a park?

NYC Parks acquired this property on July 10, 1989 and construction commenced in the fall. This playground opened in 1992 and is located next to the Broad Channel Branch of the Queens Public Library. It features multiple basketball courts, handball courts, and a tennis court, as well as a water-themed playground with playful dolphin decals that symbolize the importance of water to the island and the surrounding Jamaica Bay.

Who is this park named for?

Broad Channel Park gets its name from the neighborhood, which is the only inhabited island in Jamaica Bay. The Broad Channel neighborhood stands on Big Egg Marsh, an island approximately 20 blocks long and four blocks wide.

Park Information

Directions to Broad Channel Park

Highlights

  • Broad Channel Park

Was this information helpful?