Bill "Bojangles" Robinson Mural
Click image for larger view
- Location: West 150th Street, west side of 7 Avenue
- Architect: Brandon Adams (Landscape architect)
- Description: Mural, period street lamp, plaque
- Materials: Mural--aluminum panels (¼" thick, coated with Duranar Fluoropolymer); plaque--bronze
- Dimensions: H: 15' W: 17 '; Plaque H: 1'4" W: 1'8"
- Cast: November 1, 1991
- Dedicated: February 27, 1992
- Donor: Office of the Mayor
- Inscription: BILL 'BOJANGLES' ROBINSON / BILL 'BOJANGLES' ROBINSON (1878-1949) WAS A WELL / KNOWN TAP DANCER FROM THE EARLY 1900's TO THE / LATE 1940's. HE PERFORMED IN THEATERS ON BROADWAY / AND THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES AND EUROPE, / AND STARRED IN SEVERAL HOLLYWOOD MADE MOVIES. / DANCE CRITICS REFER TO HIM AS THE ''MASTER / OF TAP DANCING." /
BILL ROBINSON RESIDED AT THE DUNBAR APARTMENTS / LOCATED ACROSS WEST 150TH STREET. IN 1934, HE / ARRANGED TO HAVE THE SITE DEVELOPED AS A PUBLIC / PLAYGROUND. THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE HE GAVE GENEROUS / DONATIONS TO AND MADE PERSONAL APPEARANCES / FOR CHARITY CAUSES IN HARLEM AND IN MANY UNITED / STATES CITIES. /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143