Betty Carter Park
Lafayette Ave., Fulton St., bet. St. Felix St. and Ft. Greene Pl.
Directions via Google Maps
This park is named for Betty Carter (1929-1998), a legendary African American jazz artist who was a prominent resident of Fort Greene.
The property, located opposite the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), once was home to small-scale residential and commercial buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries that fell into disrepair and abandonment by the late 1970s. In the early 1980s, the City took possession of the land for urban renewal. The triangle was managed by Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), who commissioned landscape architect Lee Weintraub to design a public space named BAM Park. Opened in 1984, the park hosted local concerts by the Brooklyn Music School where Betty Carter took cello lessons and was a big supporter.