Betsy Head Memorial Playground has been a presence in the neighborhood for almost 100 years. Built on land bequeathed to the city specifially for purposes of public health and recreation, it continues to serve the community as a nexus of activity today. The park has seen numerous improvements through the years, most notably the construction of the Play Center (pool and bathhouse), a monumental WPA-era building that set the bar for recreation facilities across the country. Visitors to the park today have many activities to choose from, whether it's shooting baskets, swimming laps, jogging around the track, or taking a personal tour of the landmark building.
Discover the history of Betsy Head Park
Show your park some love and join a Monday Morning Pitch-In! New York City’s parks are being used more than ever...
Directions to Betsy Head Park
Know Before You Go
Betsy Head Park
As a part of our Anchor Parks initiative, reconstruction of the northern section of Betsy Head Park is now underway. This project will completely re-envision and reconstruct the multi-purpose play area, basketball courts, active fitness area, and new skate park. Follow this project on the Parks Capital Tracker for updates.
Anticipated Completion: Winter 2020
Betsy Head Park
As a part of our Anchor Parks initiative, reconstruction of the southern section of Betsy Head Park is now underway, including a large field, sports courts, seating areas, and reconstruction of the comfort station. Follow this project on the Parks Capital Tracker for updates.
Anticipated Completion: Winter 2021
- MAYOR DE BLASIO, COMMISSIONER SILVER, ELECTED OFFICIALS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS CUT RIBBON ON $23 MILLION PHASE II OF EQUITY INITIATIVE AT BETSY HEAD PARK IN BROWNSVILLE
- NYC PARKS BREAKS GROUND ON $23 MILLION PHASE II OF EQUITY INITIATIVE AT BETSY HEAD PARK IN BROWNSVILLE
- NYC PARKS BREAKS GROUND ON $30 MILLION ANCHOR PARKS PROJECT AT BETSY HEAD PARK IN BROWNSVILLE
- Betsy Head Park Comfort Station & Utility Building Reconstruction
- Betsy Head Park Comfort Station Construction
- Citywide Olympic Pool Mechanical Systems Reconstruction