Beach Channel Park is located in the Rockaway Park section of Queens. It is bounded by Beach 116th and Beach 124th Streets and lies between Beach Channel Drive and the Jamaica Bay bulkhead line. The City acquired the property in three stages. In 1912, the New York Supreme Court ruled in favor of the City in a land dispute known as City of New York v. Rockaway Park Improvement Co. The following year, additional acreage was acquired through an agreement approved by the Sinking Fund. This fund, now called the Department of Citywide Administrative Services, ensured the payment of City debts by withholding parcels of land. The property had previously belonged to West Rockaway Land Co. and Belle Harbor-Edgemere Realty Co. In 1930, the Board of Estimate appropriated the complete property through a condemnation proceeding. On July 1, 1930, Parks gained jurisdiction over the park. Originally named Marine Park, Commissioner Stern gave the property its present name in 1985.…
Directions to Beach Channel Park
- SHHH…DON’T WAKE THE OPOSSUMS!
- PARKS DEDICATES JOHN MALONE COMMUNITY CENTER IN BROOKLYN
- BRINGING BOROUGHS TOGETHER, ONE BOCCE GAME AT A TIME