Back to Monuments List
Walloon Settlers Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: Perimeter of park on Battery Place
- Architect: Henry Bacon
- Description: Stele on base
- Materials: Limestone
- Dimensions: H: 9'10" W: 8'4" D: 5'8"
- Cast: ca. 1924
- Dedicated: May 20, 1924
- Donor: Conseil Provincial du Hainaut (Belgium)
- Inscription: PRESENTED TO THE CITY / OF NEW YORK BY THE / CONSEIL PROVINCIAL DU HAINAUT / IN MEMORY OF THE WALLOON SETTLERS / WHO CAME OVER TO AMERICA IN THE / "NIEW NEDERLAND" UNDER THE / INSPIRATION OF JESSE DE FOREST OF / AVESNES THEN COUNTY OF HAINAUT / ONE OF THEPROVINCES / --- / 1624 - 1924 /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143