This playground is named for the surrounding neighborhood of Auburndale. The earliest known inhabitants of Auburndale were the Matinecock Native Americans, a tribe of the Algonquin nation. The name Matinecock, meaning “hilly country,” described the surrounding landscape. In 1639, Dutch Governor William Kieft purchased the land that today encompasses Queens County from the Matinecock. The area remained largely agricultural until 1901, when the New England Development and Improvement Company bought 90 acres of farmland from Thomas Willet, whose family had held title to the land for more than 150 years. The Willet parcel became part of Auburndale.