View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
- Location: 30th Avenue between 30th and 29th Streets
- Sculptor: Chris Vilardi
- Description: Heroic-scale figural sculpture on pedestal
- Materials: Bronze and Mountain Green granite
- Dimensions: Figure: H: 7.5'; Pedestal: H: 2'
- Cast: 2010
- Dedicated: March 28, 2015
- Foundry: Modern Art Foundry
- Fabricator: Cold Spring Granite; Domenick de Nigris Monuments
- Donor: Athens Square Park Inc.
- Inscription: Front: SOPHOCLES / 496 BC - 406 BC / ANCIENT GREEK PLAYWRIGHT, PRIEST, / POLITICIAN AND GENERAL OF ATHENS. / HIS COMPLETE PLAYS ARE / AJAX , ANTIGONE , ELECTRA, / OEDIPUS AT COLONUS, / OEDIPUS REX, TRACHINIAE, / PHILOCTETES
Side: ONE WORK ALONE / REPAYS YOU FOR THE / LABOR OF OUR LIVES / LOVE / OEDIPUS AT COLONUS
Side: FOR KINDNESS / BEGETS KINDNESS / EVERMORE / AJAX
Directions to Athens Square
- NYC Parks Dedicates Statue Of Sophocles In Astoria's Athens Square In Honor Of Greek Independence Day
- The Diversity of Queens as Experienced in Its Parks
- Aristotle Comes to Athens Square Park