Historic New York: The General Slocum Disaster
Sunday, June 20, 2021
11:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
The PS General Slocum was a passenger steamboat built in Brooklyn, New York, in 1891. During her service history, she was involved in a number of mishaps, including multiple groundings and collisions.
Join the Urban Park Rangers as we explore this incredible historical event in NYC.
Registration is required. To register, please visit the Urban Park Rangers Registration Page on Wednesday, June 9th
Please Note: We are offering outdoor programs with limited attendance so that you can have a safe and enjoyable time in parks: Based on New York State guidance for sports and recreation during COVID-19, we’ve put protocols into place to keep our participants and staff safe and healthy. We're asking everyone to help us stay safe:
- Stay home if you're sick
- Maintain six feet of physical distance between households
- Wear a face covering
- Wash your hands
Additionally, we encourage participants to bring their own hand sanitizer to our programs.
Directions to Astoria Park
Know Before You Go
As a part of our Anchor Parks initiative, reconstruction of Charybdis Playground in Astoria Park is now underway. Follow this project on the Parks Capital Tracker for updates.
Anticipated Completion: Spring 2021
- MAKING PROGRESS ON ANCHOR PARKS INITIATIVE: PARKS CELEBRATES OPENING OF BRAND NEW TRACK AND FIELD WHILE CONSTRUCTION ON CHARYBDIS PLAYGROUND IN ASTORIA PARK IS UNDERWAY
- NYC PARKS AND DEPUTY MAYOR ALICIA GLEN BREAK GROUND ON ANCHOR PARKS’ ASTORIA PARK PROJECT AND UNVEIL SCHEMATIC DESIGNS FOR ANCHOR PARKS CITY-WIDE PROJECTS
- SPRING BREAK: NYC PARKS’ URBAN PARK RANGERS OFFER SCHOOL RECESS FUN FOR KIDS ACROSS THE CITY
- Waterfront Concert Series: The Jersey Jukebox (Doo Wop)
- Historic New York: The General Slocum Disaster
- Waterfront Concert Series: RING of FIRE Band (A Tribute to Johnny Cash)