This property honors Alexander C. Grey (d.1933), a veteran Queens newspaper man from Whitestone. Grey suffered a fractured skull and died in Queens Flushing Hospital on March 21, 1933. He was single and 66 years old at the time of his death. He is buried in Flushing Cemetery. A 1940 local law renamed the park to honor Grey, a respected community member.
The triangle was originally known as Francis Lewis Square, named in honor of merchant, patriot, and co-signer of the Declaration of Independence Francis Lewis (1713-1802). Lewis was born in Llandaff, Wales and served an apprenticeship to a London merchant before moving to America in 1738. Upon his arrival in the colonies, Lewis began a successful trading company that operated out of New York City and Philadelphia. The enterprise became successful supplying goods to British troops during the French and Indian War (1755-1763), during which Lewis also served as a British Staff Officer.