Back to Monuments List
Abingdon Square Doughboy
Click image for larger view
- Location: South end of park; West 12th Street, 8th Avenue, Hudson Street
- Sculptor: Philip Martiny
- Architect: William A. Hewlett (pedestal)
- Description: Figure (heroic scale) on pedestal
- Materials: Bronze, Deer Isle granite
- Dimensions: H:1'7-1/2" W: 10'3" D: 10'3"
- Cast: ca. 1921
- Dedicated: 1921
- Foundry: Bureau Brothers, Philadelphia
- Donor: The Jefferson Democratic Club
- Inscription: ERECTED / BY POPULAR SUBSCRIPTION / IN HONOR / OF THE BRAVE MEN / WHO WENT FORTH / FROM THIS NEIGHBOR- / HOOD TO JOIN THE / ARMED FORCES OF / THE UNITED STATES DURING THE WORLD WAR
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143