Back to Monuments List
Woodlawn Heights War Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: E. 238th St, Oneida Avenue
- Description: Pedestal topped with ball and eagle, and 4 plaques
- Materials: Bronze, Stony Creek granite
- Dedicated: July 4, 1925
- Donor: Woodlawn Hieghts Taxpayers & Community Association
- Inscription: THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED / IN HONOR OF / THE MEN OF WOODLAWN HEIGHTS / WHO SERVED OUR COUNTRY / IN THE WORLD WAR / 1917-1919 / THOSE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE / HOWARD F. BUSE / ALVAH E. KENNEDY / ALBERT LANZER / F.X. LYNCH / GEORGE MARTIN / JARVIS P. ROGERS / HERMAN H. SCHERR / WALTER E. WILHELM / DEDICATED JULY 4, 1925 / CONCEIVED AND ERECTED BY THE WOODLAWN HEIGHTS / TAXPAYERS AND COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION WITH THE / ASSISTANCE OF THE PEOPLE OF WOODLAWN. /
3 plaques with list of names.
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143