Back to Monuments List
Van Cortlandt House
Click image for larger view
- Location: Broadway at 242nd Street
- Architect: Bertram, De Langly, Drake
- Description: Tablet affixed to wall
- Materials: Bronze
- Dimensions: H: 2' W: 2'3"
- Dedicated: 1897
- Donor: Colonial Dames of America
- Inscription: CORTLAND HOVSE / BVILT BY FREDERICK VAN CORTLAND / MDCCXLVIII / PLACED IN THE CVSTODY OF THE / COLONIAL DAMES OF THE STATE / OF NEW YORK - MDCCCXCVI / OPENED BY THEM AS A PVBLIC MVSEVM / MDCCCXCVII / THIS LARGE ESTATE HAD BEEN HELD / CONTINVOVSLY BY THE DESCENDENTS / OF JACOBVS VAN CORTLANDT WHO / WAS BORN IN 1658, MAYOR OF THE / CITY 1719, VNTIL PVRCHASED FOR A / PVBLIC PARK - MDCCCLXXXIX / VIRTVES MAJORVM FILLAE CONSERVANT /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143