Back to Monuments List
Click image for larger view
- Location: East of Van Cortlandt house
- Description: Ruins of old prison with tablet
- Materials: Holland brick, Holland stone, slate
- Dimensions: H: 2'1" W: 3'1"
- Donor: Gift of T.J. Oakely Rhinelander and Colonial Dames of N.Y. State
- Inscription: PRISON WINDOW BUILT OF HOLLAND BRICK AND STONE / FROM THE OLD
SUGAR HOUSE DUANE STREET / 1763-1892 / BY THE BRITISH A PRISON FOR
AMERICAN SOLDIERS / 1776-1783 / CUNNINGHAM PROVOST MARSHAL/
PRESENTED BY T.J. OAKLEY RHINELANDER ESQ. / THE COLONIAL DAMES OF
THE STATE OF NEW YORK/
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143