Van Cortlandt Park
Enjoy the outdoors with your dog in New York City parks! Remember to be safe, obey the rules, and respect the park and others.
Rules and Regulations
- New York State law requires that dogs be vaccinated against rabies, and the New York City Health Code requires every dog owner/attendant carry with them proof of current dog license and rabies vaccination while in public. Dog owners may be fined for violation of these laws. To obtain an application for a dog license, please visit the New York City Department of Health website, or call 311. You may also obtain an application from a veterinarian, animal shelter, or pet shop.
- Dogs must be on a leash (no more than six feet long) at all times, except in dog runs and designated off-leash areas at the prescribed times.
- You must pick up after your dog and dispose of the waste in containers provided throughout the park.
- You must prevent your dog from chasing birds, squirrels, and other animals.
- Dogs are not permitted in playgrounds, zoos, fountains, ball fields, on basketball/handball/tennis courts, in swimming pools/facilities, bathing areas, and New York City beaches (see exceptions below).
Where to Go With Your Dog
Beaches and Bathing Facilties: Dogs are not allowed to enter any bathing facilities, including New York City beaches. However, as a courtesy, leashed dogs are allowed on the sand and boardwalk at Rockaway Beach, Coney Island & Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach, Midland Beach, and South Beach from October 1 until May 1. Leashed dogs are allowed on the boardwalk/promenade at Orchard, Coney Island, Brighton, Midland, South, and Manhattan Beaches.
Dog Runs: Dog runs are large, fenced-in areas for dogs to exercise unleashed during park hours.
Designated Off-Leash Areas: Some park areas allow dogs to be off leash from the time the park opens until 9:00 a.m. and from 9:00 p.m. until the park closes.
List of Dog-friendly Areas
|Van Cortlandt Park Dog Run||Broadway and 252 Street||Run|
|Woodlawn Dog Run||Van Cortlandt Park East between Oneida Avenue and East 238th Street||Run|
Directions to Van Cortlandt Park
Know Before You Go
Van Cortlandt Park
Due to construction at Broadway and West 242nd Street, the entrance near the subway is closed. Please access the park at the stairway adjacent to the public comfort station (Broadway & Manhattan College Parkway). There is an accessible entrance at the end of the block. The barbecuing area at Van Cortlandt Park has temporarily been moved behind the Nature Center. For more information on the progress of this construction project, please visit our Capital Project Tracker page.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2020
- NYC PARKS BREAKS GROUND ON BRAND NEW PLAYGROUND IN VAN CORTLANDT PARK
- NYC PARKS BREAKS GROUND ON NEWEST PARKS WITHOUT BORDERS PROJECT SITE—VAN CORTLANDT PARK
- SPRING BREAK: NYC PARKS’ URBAN PARK RANGERS OFFER SCHOOL RECESS FUN FOR KIDS ACROSS THE CITY
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Bocce Courts
- Cricket Fields
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Hiking Trails
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Running Tracks
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots