Gerard P. Dugan Playground
Gerard P. Dugan (1905-1973) was born in Brooklyn, New York. He served in the Marine Corps from 1923 to 1927. Dugan moved to Staten Island in 1935, where he became a dedicated community activist. He worked as a foreman for the Bethlehem Steel Company at the former Mariner’s Harbor shipyard until he retired in 1967.
Dugan’s civic work included helping to organize the Oakwood Beach Resident Committee. He also served as President of the Oakwood Civic Association and as Chairman of the Hurricane Protection Committee. In 1973 Dugan received the Richmond County Borough President Award as well as the Achievement Award from the Civic Congress of Staten Island on which he served as a delegate.
This playground was first acquired by Parks in 1931. It opened to the public during the administration of Parks Commissioner Robert Moses. The construction and rehabilitation of hundreds of playgrounds throughout the five boroughs was facilitated by Commissioner Moses’ use of the financial and labor resources of the Federal Works Progress Administration. In 1974 the playground was renovated and named for Gerard P. Dugan under a local law introduced by City Councilmember (later Borough President) Anthony R. Gaeta and signed by Mayor Abraham D. Beame.
Dugan Playground was redesigned and renovated in 1997 under a $656,000 capital project funded by Borough President Molinari. The renovation provided new shrubbery, play equipment, paths, plantings, and accessibility for the handicapped.