This playground is named in honor of DeWitt Clinton (1769-1828), the distinguished New York statesman who served ten terms as mayor and three as governor. Born in Little Britain, New York, Clinton received his primary education from King’s College (now Columbia University) and was admitted to the bar in 1786. Clinton served on the New York State Legislature from 1792 to 1802 and as a member of the United States Senate in 1802 and 1803. He resigned from the Senate in 1803 and was appointed New York City Mayor. During his 10 years in office, Clinton sponsored the construction of a new city hall in Manhattan (which continues to be used today), and founded the New York Historical Society, the New York Academy of Sciences, the New York City Public School system, and the Orphans Asylum.