Enjoy the outdoors with your dog in New York City parks! Remember to be safe, obey the rules, and respect the park and others.
Rules and Regulations
- New York State law requires that dogs be vaccinated against rabies, and the New York City Health Code requires every dog owner/attendant carry with them proof of current dog license and rabies vaccination while in public. Dog owners may be fined for violation of these laws. To obtain an application for a dog license, please visit the New York City Department of Health website, or call 311. You may also obtain an application from a veterinarian, animal shelter, or pet shop.
- Dogs must be on a leash (no more than six feet long) at all times, except in dog runs and designated off-leash areas at the prescribed times.
- You must pick up after your dog and dispose of the waste in containers provided throughout the park.
- You must prevent your dog from chasing birds, squirrels, and other animals.
- Dogs are not permitted in playgrounds, zoos, fountains, ball fields, on basketball/handball/tennis courts, in swimming pools/facilities, bathing areas, and New York City beaches (see exceptions below).
Where to Go With Your Dog
Beaches and Bathing Facilties: Dogs are not allowed to enter any bathing facilities, including New York City beaches. However, as a courtesy, leashed dogs are allowed on the sand and boardwalk at Rockaway Beach, Coney Island & Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach, Midland Beach, and South Beach from October 1 until May 1. Leashed dogs are allowed on the boardwalk/promenade at Orchard, Coney Island, Brighton, Midland, South, and Manhattan Beaches.
Dog Runs: Dog runs are large, fenced-in areas for dogs to exercise unleashed during park hours.
Designated Off-Leash Areas: Some park areas allow dogs to be off leash from the time the park opens until 9:00 a.m. and from 9:00 p.m. until the park closes.
List of Dog-friendly Areas
|Forest Park: Overlook Dog Park/The Barking Lot||Corner of Park Lane and Forest Park Drive, behind the Overlook building at 80-30 Park Lane||Run|
|Forest Park: K9 Korral||Park Lane South and 85th Street||Run|
|Forest Park Off-Leash Area||Off-Leash||Some park areas allow dogs to be off leash from the time the park opens until 9:00 a.m. and from 9:00 p.m. until the park closes. Dogs are not permitted in playgrounds, fountains, natural areas/trails, ballfields, and on athletic courts.|
Directions to Forest Park
- OLMSTED 200: NYC PARKS HONORS BICENTENNIAL WITH GALLERY EXHIBITION, RANGER TOURS, AND MORE
- NYC PARKS’ ART IN THE PARKS PROGRAM PRESENTS NEW ARTWORKS ON VIEW CITYWIDE THIS SUMMER
- NYC PARKS ISSUES REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS FOR BICYCLE RENTALS IN QUEENS
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Bocce Courts
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Handball Courts
- Hiking Trails
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Model Aircraft Fields
- Nature Centers
- Running Tracks
- Skate Parks
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots