Frederick Johnson Playground
View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Frederick Johnson Memorial
- Location: 150th St. and 7th Ave.
- Description: Stele with incised letters
- Materials: Barre granite
- Dimensions: H: 3'4" W: 1'8" D: 7 ½"
- Dedicated: October 23, 1971
- Fabricator: Keystone Monument Co.
- Donor: Frederick Johnson Memorial Committee
- Inscription: FREDERICK JOHNSON PARK / DEDICATED TO / THE MEMORY OF / FREDERICK
JOHNSON / TENNIS PLAYER COACH / AND CITIZEN OF THE / HARLEM
COMMUNITY / A TESTAMENT TO HIS / COMMITMENT IS HIS / FOREMOST PUPIL
MISS ALTHEA GIBSON / UNITED STATES AND WIMBLEDON TENNIS / CHAMPION/
/(SIGNATURE): FREDERICK JOHNSON / JAN. 9, 1891N.Y. / MAY 15, 1963
BACK: FREDERICK JOHNSON PARK / COMMITTEE / VICTOR A. COLLYMORE/
THEODOSIA G. MAPLES / RUOBERT W. PUGH / DEDICATED OCTOBER 23, 1971/