Frederick Johnson Playground
7 Ave. bet. W. 150 St. and W. 151 St.
Directions via Google Maps
What was here before?
This was once the site of a gas station adjacent to the train yard for the Interborough Rapid Transit (IRT). The IRT, which opened in 1904, was a privately-owned transit company. Along with the Independent Subway System (IND), it was purchased by the City in 1940 and the New York City Transit Authority was formed, now part of the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA).
How did this site become a park?
NYC Parks acquired this land in several phases between 1937 and 1947. On October 23, 1971, NYC Parks Commissioner August Heckscher (1914-1997) named this park for long time tennis instructor, Frederick Johnson, and a granite monument to Johnson, funded by the Frederick Johnson Memorial Committee, was also unveiled at the ceremony.
Directions to Frederick Johnson Playground
- Frederick Johnson Playground Comfort Station Construction
- Frederick Johnson Playground Reconstruction