View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Battle Pass Historic Marker
- Location: West side of East Drive, north of entrance to Prospect Park Wildlife Center
- Description: Plaque mounted on boulder
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: H: 1'4¼" W: 2'5"
- Cast: 1991
- Dedicated: 1929; rededicated ca. 1991
- Foundry: Original plaque--Pitbladdo Monument Works, Inc., 242 25th Street, Brooklyn, NY; replacement plaque--U.S. Bronze, Hyde Park, NY
- Donor: Battle Pass Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Inscription: HISTORIC MARKER OF BATTLE PASS / AT THIS POINT THE OLD PORTE ROAD OR VALLEY GROVE ROAD / INTERSECTED THE LINE OF HILLS SEPARATING FLATBUSH FROM / BROOKLYN AND GOWANUS. IN THE BATTLE OF LONG ISLAND, AUGUST 27, 1776, THIS PASS WAS BARRICADED IN FRONT BY DONGAN OAK / AND OTHER OBSTRUCTIONS. IT WAS PROTECTED BY ARTILLERY ON / REDOUT HILL JUST TO THE EAST. HERE THE AMERICAN FORCES / STOOD THEIR GROUND AGAINST THE HESSIANS COMING FROM THE / SOUTH TILL FLANKED FROM THE RIVER BY A BODY OF BRITISH TROOPS. / GENERAL SULLIVAN WAS CAPTURED, BUT MOST OF HIS TROOPS / RETREATED ACROSS WHAT IS NOW THE LONG MEADOW, JOINING / THE MARYLAND AND OTHER TROOPS FOR THE FINAL RESISTANCE / NEAR THE OLD STONE HOUSE OF GOWANUS. /
Directions to Prospect Park
- NYC PARKS AND THE PROSPECT PARK ALLIANCE BREAK GROUND ON NEW ENTRANCES TO PROSPECT PARK
- ADVISORY: NYC PARKS AND HEALTH DEPARTMENT ADVISE DOG OWNERS VISITING PROSPECT PARK TO KEEP DOGS ON LEASH
- NYC Parks and AT&T Expand Free Public Wi-Fi and Solar Mobile Charging in Parks and at Beaches Citywide