View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
- Location: 9th Street entrance
- Sculptor: Daniel Chester French
- Architect: Henry Bacon
- Description: Bas-relief on stele; terrace
- Materials: Bronze; Milford pink granite (polished)
- Dimensions: Bas-relief H: 10' W: 13' ; Stele H: 19' W: 22' D: 8'10"; Terrace W: 72' D: 35'
- Cast: ca. 1917
- Dedicated: May 10, 1917
- Foundry: Gorham Co.
- Donor: Henry Harteau
1) front: "THE MARQUIS DE LAFAYETTE [---] THIS MONUMENT WAS / ERECTED AND PRESENTED BY HENRY HARTEAU A DISTINGUISHED CITIZEN OF BROOKLYN TO BE AN / ENDURING TRIBUTE TO THE MEMORY OF ONE WHO AS / A FRIEND AND COMPANION OF THE IMMORTAL WASH INGTON FOUGHT TO ESTABLISH IN OUR COUNTRY / THOSE VITAL PRINCIPLES OF LIBERTY AND HUMAN / BROTHERHOOD WHICH HE AFTERWARD LABORED TO ESTABLISH IN HIS OWN
2) rear: "THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNVEILED AND DEDICATED BY / MARSHALL JOFFRE AND M. VIVANI OF THE FRENCH / WAR COMMISSION, MAY 10, 1917"
Directions to Prospect Park
- ADVISORY: NYC PARKS AND HEALTH DEPARTMENT ADVISE DOG OWNERS VISITING PROSPECT PARK TO KEEP DOGS ON LEASH
- NYC Parks and AT&T Expand Free Public Wi-Fi and Solar Mobile Charging in Parks and at Beaches Citywide
- NYC PARKS REVEALS PARKS WITHOUT BORDERS EIGHT SHOWCASE PARKS