Lefferts Historic HouseLocation: Flatbush Avenue at Empire Boulevard and Ocean Avenue, near the Willink entrance to the Park.
Phone: (718) 789-2822
Description: Located six blocks north of its original site on Flatbush Avenue near Maple Street, Lefferts Historic House in Prospect Park is one of the few surviving Dutch Colonial farmhouses in Brooklyn. Pieter Lefferts owned the house when it was built between 1777 and 1783 to replace an earlier family home burned during the battle of Long Island in 1776, and it served as home to at least three more generations of the Lefferts family, including his State Senator son John Lefferts and his granddaughter. In 1917, the estate of John Lefferts offered the House to the City of New York, and in 1920, it was opened as a museum by the Fort Greene chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Today Lefferts Historic House is operated by the Prospect Park Alliance
Directions to Prospect Park
- NYC PARKS AND THE PROSPECT PARK ALLIANCE BREAK GROUND ON NEW ENTRANCES TO PROSPECT PARK
- ADVISORY: NYC PARKS AND HEALTH DEPARTMENT ADVISE DOG OWNERS VISITING PROSPECT PARK TO KEEP DOGS ON LEASH
- NYC Parks and AT&T Expand Free Public Wi-Fi and Solar Mobile Charging in Parks and at Beaches Citywide