Volunteer with the Rangers
The Urban Park Ranger Volunteer Program is conducted in all five boroughs and is based out of our ten citywide Nature Centers. Volunteers serve as much-needed supplements to our surprisingly small staff numbers, aiding Rangers and Nature Center Coordinators in their many duties. In turn, Volunteers gain the opportunity to positively contribute to the development of their community while learning new skills and knowledge in beautiful parkland environments.
Some of your opportunities as a Volunteer include:
- Research local history for a Ranger program
- Greet visitors at the reception desk
- Design flyers for upcoming lectures or programs
- Contact local stores for donations
- Write and send out program announcements for local press
- Write grants
- Run your own program!
In order to volunteer you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid picture ID
- Attend one Volunteer Orientation session
- Be able to give 2-3 checkable references
As an Urban Park Ranger volunteer, you will receive the following benefits:
- Invitations to volunteer-only workshops, such as Birding Identification or Aquatic Ecology
- A sense of satisfaction!
To receive an invitation to the next volunteer orientation, either call or stop in to your local Nature Center.